Civic/Cultural Main Plaza of
San Antonio, TX
Main Plaza — formerly known as Plaza de las Islas — is the historical center of San Antonio, established in 1731. Since its formation, the Plaza has remained the center of the social, governmental and religious life of the community. Lake|Flato undertook the Plaza’s renovation in (year), incorporating a boisterous ground-line fountain that animates the heart of the Plaza and helps to mask traffic noise. Planting beds feature lush native landscaping, bringing color, tranquil shaded spaces, and the presence of nature into the urban environment. The design provides an active plaza in front of the historic San Fernando Cathedral. In collaboration with SWA Group landscape architects.
APA " Best Public Spaces"
International Downtown Alliance\Award of Distinction